Thursday 9 February 2012

The "Bokeh" technique

After watching "The Words of Bokeh", I decided to research the techniques used within the film, and found that "Bokeh" is in fact a technique within photography.  I then found a tutorial on DIY Photography explaining Bokeh.

"Bokeh is an adaptation from a Japanese word meaning "blur".  In photography this term is used to describe the quality of the areas in the picture which are not in focus."

During this tutorial, I was able to manipulate the shape of the light, making the shape into a heart shape.

To begin with however, I wanted to see how clear my words/shape cut outs were when I took pictures of them.

Here are some examples below.




















To gain this I firstly cut out, and shaped a sheet of paper to make a lens hood.

































I now want to see how I can create this effect using a video camera.  Like "The Words of Bokeh"  I want to go from a light, a traffic light for example, and blur this into a shape.  Using the same technique as a still camera, I will focus the object, and then change the focus so that it blurs. 

1 comment:

  1. Great Idea, but how you include people in your shot with this effect?? and do I need light in the back?? thanks

    ReplyDelete